project elasticated

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: M.I.A./Justine collaboration in 2008?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 pm 
Elastican
Elastican

In 1993, there was one rocker chick who was worthy of the Femme Fatale title - Justine Frischmann from the British band Elastica. A former architecture student, Justine founded the band Suede with then boyfriend Brett Anderson. She left the band in 1991 with drummer Justin Welch and formed Elastica soon after, partly because she started a romance with Damon Albarn and claimed to not have enough say in shaping the future of the band. Elastica released their first single "Stutter" in 1993, and then two more singles behind it, "Line Up" and "Connection", which raced up the UK charts. Justine soon became tabloid fodder as her band got more well known and her relationship with Albarn, himself a pop star in his own right with Blur, was scrutinized in the press. Elastica's first full length album was finally released in 1995, where it was a top seller in the UK. Elastica was known for their punk rock aesthetics, short intense songs, and the non-chalant vocal delivery in Justine's signature British drawl. The band didn't always have it easy, with Justine in the papers constantly as one of the new saviors of Britpop, and the band being sued by post-punk band Wire for borrowing a little too loosely from their catalogue. The band then suffered from too many lineup changes, and Elastica called it quits after their second album was released years later to no fanfare and drug problems in the band. So it's now years after Elastica has split, and Justine has gotten back to her architecture roots (which run in the family - her father is a structural engineer). She has been a judge for architectural competitions, and has presented different television programs including The South Bank Show in the UK. She also went back to school to study visual arts and she DJs occasionally around London. Most recently, Justine has been co-writing with M.I.A, who was her roomate and contributed to her demos and the hit song "Galang". No longer consenting to be the bad girl of British rock and roll, Justine is content just living life on the sidelines with her many projects. Elastica fans everywhere, however, are curious what and where her next activities will be and hope that a return to rock and roll is in her future.

http://www.phillygirlabouttown.com/girl ... le-ju.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 pm 
Elastican
Elastican

Thoughts?

Obviously its fantastic news if true. While I am a huge M.I.A. fan, I am more interested in the potential for Justine to actually start creating music again. Another M.I.A. collaboration would be a good first step. Hopefully Justine enters a prolific phase soon because we're not getting any younger. Hell, do something solo if she has no interest in Elastica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 am 
ElastiGOD
ElastiGOD

well, justine has already commented in the past considering the solo thing, that she does not interest her. but another MIA collaboartion would seem very likely since MIA has publicy said that she wants justine to get involded in her music again, that would be her upcoming 3rd album i guess, right?

so fingers crossed! :roll:

we miss ya jus!!!

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 am 
Elastican
Elastican

Has she ever elaborated on why she has no interest in a solo career?? If Elastica is unlikely and a solo project as well, what else is left? Is she content to have an idea pop up on an M.I.A. album every few years?

I realize how easy it is for her to stay away from the music scene since there's not much demand and the media rarely mentions her, but what led her in this direction?

She's literally a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma. I'll never understand it, but maybe we're not supposed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:45 pm 
ElastiGOD
ElastiGOD

c'mon, she's recenlty happily married, i don't think she gives a fuck about the music industry anymore. still, she may be recording stuff on her own not planning to release them whatsoever... another great album lost in time? remember elastica Mk2?? :roll:

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 am 
Elastican
Elastican

Found a Justine quote in the mountain of shit I have compiled that I will eventually sort out before I launch an M.I.A. site(sometime later this year).

Quote:
I do feel that I sort of did my bit. So you may very well never hear from me again - doing anything.”
Pretty sad, and it pretty much places in a nutshell what we should expect from her--nothing.

As long as she's happy I guess it doesn't really matter.

Also sad that we are the only two semi active members on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm 
Elastican
Elastican

i go in here once or twice a week, and have done for years, never write anything though :idiote: what is it with elastica? i can't get enough. i want more pictures, more interviews. more more more i tell you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 am 
ElastiGOD
ElastiGOD

malin wrote:
i go in here once or twice a week, and have done for years, never write anything though :idiote: what is it with elastica? i can't get enough. i want more pictures, more interviews. more more more i tell you!

haha, yeah me too! :wink:

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 pm 
Elastican
Elastican

We all want more! I still still play their tunes as if it was all released just yesterday. The thought that they'll never get back together makes me so sad whenever i think about it.

http://www.myspace.com/thrillkisser